The great end of life is not knowledge—but action.
Throughout history, men and women have been empowered by imagination, faith, curiosity, a sense of adventure, and an awe of the world around them. They have been emboldened by a willingness to take personal risks in order to explore the secrets of the unknown. They have stretched the dimensions of our frontiers in ways that are extraordinary... and the exploration to uncover the truths of the universe, both great and small, continues.
The University Scholars Program invites talented, creative, curious students to join us at NC State for a fun and exciting adventure that will lead to a lifetime of knowledge in action.
The University Scholars Program introduces our community of high-achieving students to the visual and performing arts, encourages them to consider issues drawn from the sciences and politics, and inspires students to explore and engage through international and outdoor education programs. Through these experiences, University Scholars are empowered to connect their educational goals to their passions, to become active contributors to their communities and professions, and to embrace the challenges of a rapidly evolving world.
To achieve this mission, the program
- Promotes the personal, intellectual, and cultural development of University Scholars.
- Fosters community and promote student learning, reflection, and service.
- Promotes an inclusive environment by supporting a diversity of people, cultures, and perspectives.
- Encourages students to discuss and debate social and political issues to help them become informed citizens, ethical leaders, and active contributors to our society.
- Encourages students to develop a commitment to civil and thoughtful discourse which respects divergent views and diverse experiences, seeks multiple and competing sources of information when analyzing complex issues, and values the ability to articulate a viewpoint with evidence and clarity.
- Provides University Scholars with opportunities for leadership and professional development.
- Encourages academic excellence and a commitment to advanced and independent academic inquiry among University Scholars.