“The great end of Life is not knowledge – but action.” Thomas Huxley. Huxley was right, and the University Scholars Program (USP) of North Carolina State University embraces this challenge: To introduce students to the visual and performing arts, to encourage them to consider issues drawn from the sciences and politics, to offer them opportunities to connect their academic and personal goals, and through these experiences empower them to be informed citizens, ethical leaders, and active contributors to our society.This mission provides the foundation for our program objectives:
- Promote the personal, intellectual, and cultural development of University Scholars.
- Foster community and promote student learning, reflection, and service.
- Promote an inclusive environment by supporting a diversity of people, cultures, and perspectives.
- Encourage students to discuss and debate social and political issues to help them become informed citizens, ethical leaders, and active contributors to our society.
- Encourage students to develop a commitment to civil and thoughtful discourse which respects divergent views and diverse experiences, seeks multiple and competing sources of information when analyzing complex issues, and values the ability to articulate a viewpoint with evidence and clarity.
- Provide University Scholars with opportunities for leadership and professional development.
- Encourage academic excellence and a commitment to advanced and independent academic inquiry among University Scholars.