2013 Spirit of the Village Awards Ceremony: Scholars Village staff with the 2013 Spirit of the Village Award recipient, Elizabeth Thompson. From left to right: Sueji, Elizabeth, Chester, Yulisa, and Ken.
“I loved living in the Scholars Village. The people I was surrounded with were highly-motivated, interesting people, and it was great to build relationships so early on with the people who would go on become campus leaders."
Emily Tucker '13, Industrial Engineering
Scholars Village Mission Statement:
The Scholars Village is a dynamic living and learning community that enhances the intellectual exploration and personal development of its residents. The village, a collaborative effort between the University Scholars Program and University Housing, offers students a wide range of educational and social opportunities that ease the transition to college life and help students make connections with their peers, NC State, and the world around them.
Scholars Village Residents will:
- Create a community of culturally-connected, informed and engaged residents.
- Demonstrate a commitment to academic excellence.
- Participate in a variety of cultural, service, outdoor, and social activities.
- Engage in meaningful discussion about important contemporary issues.
- Build personal connections through the interaction with village residents and staff.
- Explore campus and community resources.
- Participate in an inclusive residential environment.
- Be fully engaged in the University Scholars Program.
Life in the Scholars Village
The Scholars Village is located on Floors 2, 3, 4 and 5 of Sullivan Residence Hall and is limited to first year University Scholars. Each semester village resident will participate in a Village In Action (VIA) group with other students living on the same floor of the Village. Through the VIA program, village residents will take part in a series of specially-planned events that will allow them to interact closely with their peers, an upper class University Scholars Assistant (USA), and a professional staff member. Additionally, the Resident Advisors (RAs) for the Village plan special programming that complements the University Scholars Program, promotes cultural exploration, and builds community.