2013 Spirit of the Village Awards Ceremony: Scholars Village staff with the 2013 Spirit of the Village Award recipient, Elizabeth Thompson. From left to right: Sueji, Elizabeth, Chester, Yulisa, and Ken.
“Living in Sullivan Hall my freshman year helped me become more involved in the University as well as helping me meet other students with similar interests as myself. I could not have imagined starting my college career any other way!”
Evan McConnell, Mechanical Engineering and Business Administration, '12
“The Scholars Village deeply contributed to my experiences in the USP. My roommate and suitemates were all Scholars and we were able to attend events together. It was neat to always have a friend at events and be able to discuss the events when we got back ‘home’.”
Elizabeth Davis, Accounting, '11
Scholars Village Mission Statement:
The Scholars Village is a dynamic living and learning community that enhances the intellectual exploration and personal development of its residents. The village, a collaborative effort between the University Scholars Program and University Housing, offers students a wide range of educational and social opportunities that ease the transition to college life and help students make connections with their peers, NC State, and the world around them.
Scholars Village Residents will:
- Participate in a variety of cultural, service and social activities.
- Engage in meaningful dialogue about important social and political issues.
- Build personal connections through the interaction with village staff and members of the NC State community.
- Have access to residential resources, including specially trained student and professional staff, computer lab, lounges and classroom.
- Explore opportunities for professional and leadership development.
- Create an inclusive residential environment.
- Be fully integrated into the University Scholars Program.
- Foster a community of academic excellence.
Life in the Scholars Village
The Scholars Village is located on Floors 2-5 of Sullivan Residence Hall and is limited to first year University Scholars. Every village resident will participate in a Village In Action (VIA) group with other students living on the same floor of the Village. Through the VIA program, village residents will take part in a series of specially-planned events that will allow them to interact closely with their peers, an upper class Scholars Village Assistant (SVA), and a professional staff member. Additionally, the SVAs and Resident Advisors (RAs) for the Village collaborate on special programming that complements the University Scholars Program and builds community.