Throughout history, men and women have been moved to action by imagination, faith, a sense of adventure, and an awe of the world around them. They have been emboldened by a willingness to take personal risks in order to explore the secrets of the unknown. Their passions and discoveries have expanded the dimensions of our frontiers in ways that are extraordinary. The exploration to uncover the truths of the universe, both great and small, continues today. At NC State, University Scholars have led this exploration for over thirty-five years.
The University Scholars Program introduces a community of high-achieving students to the visual and performing arts, encourages them to consider issues drawn from the sciences and politics, challenges them to excel academically and inspires them to explore and engage through international and outdoor education programs. Through these experiences, University Scholars are encouraged to connect their educational goals to their passions, to become active citizens, and to embrace the challenges of a rapidly evolving world.
To introduce students to the visual and performing arts, to encourage them to consider issues drawn from the sciences and politics, to offer them opportunities to connect their academic and personal goals, and through these experiences empower them to be informed citizens, ethical leaders, and active contributors to our society. This mission provides the foundation for our program objectives:
- Promote the personal, intellectual, and cultural development of University Scholars.
- Foster community and promote student learning, reflection, and service.
- Promote an inclusive environment by supporting a diversity of people, cultures, and perspectives.
- Encourage students to discuss and debate social and political issues to help them become informed citizens, ethical leaders, and active contributors to our society.
- Encourage students to develop a commitment to civil and thoughtful discourse which respects divergent views and diverse experiences, seeks multiple and competing sources of information when analyzing complex issues, and values the ability to articulate a viewpoint with evidence and clarity.
- Provide University Scholars with opportunities for leadership and professional development.
- Encourage academic excellence and a commitment to advanced and independent academic inquiry among University Scholars.
See our most recent annual report to learn more about the awesome things we do and the amazing students we serve.