Frequently Asked Questions about Scholars Forum, USP 110/111
1) Am I required to attend a certain number of optional events (i.e. field trips, plays, etc.) in partial fulfillment of my USP 110 attendance requirements?
No. Although we encourage you to attend as many optional events as you wish throughout the semester, you are not required to attend any. If you do choose to attend an optional event, we encourage you to plan and sign-up in advance since many of the options have limited spaces available.
2) Can I choose to attend one of the optional events listed above in place of my regularly scheduled Forum every week?
Yes, there is no limit on the number of weeks that you may choose to attend one of the optional events listed on the forum calendar.
3) May I attend more than one event during a week and “save up” events that I have attended and use them to fulfill my Forum requirement for a later week?
Yes. Students are just required to attend at least 12 Forum events by the end of the semester. This means that you could attend more than one event in any week, as long as you attend at least 12 total.
4) When should I turn in my attendance cards?
All USP Attendance cards must be turned in at the end of the event at which they are distributed. No late USP attendance cards will be accepted. Students MUST complete both sides of the card to receive attendance credit. Please keep in mind that is your responsibility to follow the attendance guidelines listed for each event in the schedule.
5) How can I find out how many events I have attended?
6) What if I am missing credit for an event I attended?
Please note that it will typically be several days before your attendance is entered after an event. If you believe you are missing credit for an event, you can email your USP advisor to inquire about the event. Please make sure to include the title, date and week of the event when you make your inquiry.
7) Whom should I talk to if I have questions about USP 110/111?
Please talk with your USP advisor (USP office 919-515-2353). And please remember: We have several Work Study students who work in the USP office, generally for only a few hours each week. While they are excellent folks and may frequently be able to help you, they may not always be able to accurately answer all of your questions. If you find they are not able to help you, please be patient with them and wait until you are able to speak with your advisor. Everyone on the USP staff will treat you with respect, and we would appreciate the same in return.
8) How do I request an event be considered to be added to the Scholars Forum schedule?
Great question, glad you asked. We love hearing from students, faculty and other campus partners about events happening on campus and in the Triangle that we should consider adding to the Scholars Forum schedule. We receive many requests each semester. There are two main guidelines to keep in mind and then there is a short form that must be completed. First, all events must be sponsored by a University college, academic or administrative department. Then, we must receive all such requests via the form below no later than two weeks in advance of the proposed event. This allows us time to find staff for the event and to properly advertise it to our students. If you think you have an event that fits this description, please complete this request form. If you have any questions, please contact Chester Brewer (email@example.com).